January 9, 2017: ACTTION Presentations at Dental, APS, and NeuPSIG Meetings
ACTTION Associate Director Dennis Turk, PhD, will present two talks at the joint meeting of the International Association for Dental Research, American Association of Dental Research, and Canadian Association for Dental Research, to be held in San Francisco, California from March 21-25, 2017. He will review ACTTION's efforts to develop evidence-based diagnostic criteria for acute and chronic pain conditions in a workshop on "Oral neuropathic pain: consensus guidelines" and in a symposium on "Oral pain taxonomy: building on the success of the DC/TMD." ACTTION Assistant Directors, Jennifer Gewandter, PhD, and Shannon Smith, PhD, will present posters that report on ACTTION Working Group projects at the annual meeting of the American Pain Society, to be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from May 17-20, 2017. Dr. Gewandter will describe the results of a systematic review of methodologic aspects of clinical trials of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy initiated during chemotherapy; she will be at the author-attended poster session on Thursday, May 18 from 3:45-5:15 pm. Dr. Smith will present the results of meta-analyses comparing the assay sensitivity of ratings of average and worst pain; she will be at the author-attended poster session on Thursday, May 18 from 9:30-11 am. Dr. Gewandter will also be presenting a talk at NeuPSIG’s 6th International Congress on Neuropathic Pain, to be held in Gothenburg, Sweden from June 15-18, 2017. She will review recommendations for the design of pain clinical trials, including considerations to improve the identification of truly efficacious treatments, in a workshop on "Improving the quality of pain trials" that will be held on June 18 at 8 am. The authors/titles of these five presentations follow:
- Gewandter JS. Research design considerations for chronic pain clinical trials.
- Gewandter JS, Kitt RA, Cavaletti G, Freeman R, McDermott MP, Mohile NA, Mohile SG, Smith AG, Turk DC, Dworkin RH. Research design characteristics and clarity of reporting in trials of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy treatments initiated during chemotherapy: an ACTTION systematic review.
- Smith SM, Jensen MP, He H, Kitt R Koch J, Pan A, McDermott MP, Turk DC, Dworkin RH. Comparing the assay sensitivity of average pain intensity and worst pain intensity: an ACTTION meta-analysis.
- Turk DC. ACTTION's initiatives to develop comprehensive acute and chronic pain taxonomies.
- Turk DC. Orofacial pain and the AAPT taxonomy: looking back, going forward.